Short story: Feet on the Ground
"I telephoned my grandparents the other day," Brad Pitt once recalled, "and my grandfather said to me, We saw your movie." "Which one?" I said, and he shouted, "Betty, what was the name of that movie I didn't like?" I thought that was just classic. I mean, if that doesn't keep your feet on the ground, what would?"
to have/keep your feet on the ground - stąpać twardo po ziemi
to recall - przypomnieć sobie
classic - super, niezłe
JOKE OF THE WEEK
A man goes to the cinema to see a mystery. He finds his seat in the cinema, but it's too close to the screen. He whispers to the usher, "In the first row, I'll be able to see half the screen only. Get me a better seat, and I'll give you a handsome tip. "The usher moves him to the back row, and the man hands the usher a quarter. The usher looks at the quarter and then leans over and whispers, "The wife did it."
a mystery (film) - kryminał
an usher - bileter
a row - rząd (np. krzeseł)
handsome - tu: znaczny, hojny
a tip - napiwek
a quarter - ćwierćdolarówka
to lean over - pochylać się
"A good film is when the price of the dinner, the theatre admission and the babysitter were worth it."
"Film tylko wtedy można uznać za dobry, gdy cena kolacji, biletu i koszt wynajęcia opiekunki do dziecka były go warte."
DID YOU KNOW
101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die during the movie.
a Dalmatian - dalmatyńczyk
a cartoon feature (film) - pełnometrazowy film animowany
BUILD YOUR VOCABULARY
Complete the following sentences with adjectives from the box:
artsy, entertaining, hilarious, light, mainstream, thought-provoking.
- If we go to a movie, I would like to see a __________ comedy.
I don't want to have to think - I just want to be entertained.
- Most movie theaters are primarily interested in making money, so they prefer to show ________________ movies which have a greater earning potential.
- That movie was _________________.
I have never laughed so hard in my life.
- Although the story was simple and the acting was average,
I thought the movie was still very ___________ .
- That new Swedish film was so _____________ that we were up all night discussing it.
- I thought the movie was really strange. Why was half of it in black and white? Why did she keep dreaming in French? I think the whole thing was just a little too _______ for me.
1. light, 2. mainstream, 3. hilarious, 4. entertaining, 5. thought-provoking, 6. artsy