the usage of present perfect with another present perfect

Pytania i wątpliwości dotyczące gramatyki angielskiej

the usage of present perfect with another present perfect

Postautor: cranium » 04 cze 2011, 0:07

This sentence is correct because it is given as an example in a book (grammar and vocabulary for cambridge advanced and proficiency) :D:Since I've known him, he's always worn the same sweater

but this one should be corrected:
Since I've met her, I've never seen her lose her temper
and the answer key says that it should be:
Since I met her, I've never seen her lose her temper

I'm disorientated, can somebody explain it to me?
cranium

Re: the usage of present perfect with another present perfec

Postautor: monimmi » 04 cze 2011, 2:39

cranium pisze:This sentence is correct because it is given as an example in a book (grammar and vocabulary for cambridge advanced and proficiency) :D:Since I've known him, he's always worn the same sweater

but this one should be corrected:
Since I've met her, I've never seen her lose her temper
and the answer key says that it should be:
Since I met her, I've never seen her lose her temper

I'm disorientated, can somebody explain it to me?

This is because when you "meet" a person (once, for the first time, as in this case - poznac kogos) you do it once, and when you "know" a person it's something that continues. So you met someone, and now you know them.

You can say "I've met her several times over the past few years" and that would mean that you saw/talked to/interacted with her a number of times in the past. (spotykac sie)

Hope this helps.
monimmi
junior fellow

Re: the usage of present perfect with another present perfect

Postautor: cranium » 04 cze 2011, 3:01

Thank's ;)
cranium

Re: the usage of present perfect with another present perfect

Postautor: vlord » 30 maja 2022, 15:06

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
сайтинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
vlord
The One Whose Name Cannot Be Spoken