kim sa brownies

Kultura i historia krajów anglojęzycznych. Praca zagranicą. Edukacja zagranicą.

Re: kim sa brownies

Postautor: Visitor » 15 kwie 2006, 20:24

kim sa brownies?
prosze cos napisac o nich?
wszystko co o nich wiecie/
gdzie mieszkaja czym sie zajmuja itp.?

prosze to wazne
Visitor

Re: kim sa brownies

Postautor: morganx » 15 kwie 2006, 21:43

Brownies is the name given to a junior branch of the Girl Guides, and dates back to 1915.

The group was started by Agnes Baden-Powell (Lord Baden-Powell's sister) in 1914. Originally the girls were called Rosebuds, but were renamed by Lord Baden-Powell. Their name comes from a story by Juliana Horatia Ewing, written in 1870. In the story two children, Tommy and Betty, learn that children can be helpful Brownies or lazy boggarts.

Brownie packs are divided into groups called sixes or circles. Each six or circle has either the name of a fairy creature including (Leprechauns, Pixies, Elf, Kelpie, Bwbacod, Ghillie-Dhu, Gnome, Imp, Sprite, Dryads, etc.) or a woodland animal (rabbit, hedgehog, fox, badger, mole, squirrel). One girl is in charge of the six - the Sixer (in Canada this girl is the Circle Leader and her helper is the Circle Second). Another girl helps her - the Seconder.

Activities Brownies undertake vary between Packs and also varies from country to country. Most will play games, work towards badges, make things, cook, go on trips and holidays, camps etc.

Brownie uniforms vary from country to country. In many countries, the girls can choose from a variety of different uniform items. In Canada, the uniforms have recently changed from the traditional all brown (with choices including brown t-shirts, sweaters, sashes cargo pants or skirts, along with extras such as camp hats) to dark orange with a navy sash and a navy skirt or pants, as in the older girl guides.

The Guiding movement in the United Kingdom remains popular - one third of all 8 year old girls in the UK are Brownies. Many Packs have long waiting lists and struggle to find enough adult volunteers to cope with demand.

When a person does nice favors for another (especially for an authority figure), the person can be said to have done a Good Turn.

The motto of Brownies is Lend a Hand.

In Canada, the Brownie Promise is: I promise to do my best, To be true to myself, my God/Faith* and Canada, I will help other people, And keep the Brownie Law.

Girls can choose to either say the word God or Faith
The Canadian Brownie Law is: As a Brownie I am honest and kind. I help take care of the world around me.
morganx
junior fellow