7 Tips for Writing Exam Essays

Practice makes perfect. Let's talk in English!

7 Tips for Writing Exam Essays

Postautor: chad1211 » 10 maja 2016, 9:58

1. Answer the Question.

This is the first and most important suggestion. Answering the wrong question is a common mistake made by students. Unfortunately, it can be a real disaster for the grade you get in an exam. Make sure you understand what the examiner wants; it is highly advisable to refer back to the question throughout the answer. This point may sound like stating the obvious; but, in my experience, answering the wrong question is the biggest cause of a disappointing exam result.

2. Good Introduction.

In an introduction to an essay you should offer a short, concise summary of the main points to be raised. If appropriate, you could clarify key concepts. Introductions go wrong when students go into too much detail, and then repeat their arguments in the main body of the text. Generally speaking, it is advisable to start off with short sentences, rather than complex sentences. This will help create a clarity of thought and purpose.

3. Essay Plan.

A plan can help to gather your thoughts, and make sure you do not forget to mention key arguments. It is an opportunity to brainstorm what you know about the topic. However, it is important not to get into too much detail – writing keywords and phrases are the best solution. I would suggest spending 5 -10 % of your allotted time on creating an introduction.

4. 3 Steps of an argument.

The first step is the basic statement and argument; this part tests your knowledge.
The second step is to explain your statement. Don’t forget you need to explain in relation to the question. Also, just because you think the explanation is obvious, doesn’t mean you can avoid putting it down.
The third step is to look at the argument with critical distance. This is an opportunity to discuss why the basic premise may be wrong or limited. It is an opportunity to show you can think for yourself, rather than just memorise a list of points. This final step, called analysis or evaluation, is the most difficult part, but is required to get the highest mark.
I write this with Economics in mind, but, I’m sure it is relevant to others subjects as well.

5. Conclusion.

In a conclusion you can weigh up the different arguments and decide which are the strongest and most relevant. A conclusion should try to add something new, and not just repeat previous points. For example, you can say why an argument is particularly strong and give justification.

6. How Much To Write?

I often get asked this question by students. So many students will write 1 side and then stop, almost in mid sentence, because they think this means they have finished. There is no right answer as to how much you should write. The important thing is to write as much as you can in the allotted time, but, only write what is relevant. Although it is true quality is more important than quantity, don’t try to do a minimalist style and write as little as possible. Generally speaking, if you write more you have a better chance of getting more points across.

7. Did you answer the Question?

Hopefully you didn’t leave it to the end of your answer to realise you answered the wrong question.
Here is how to get free Xbox live gold code
chad1211

Re: 7 Tips for Writing Exam Essays

Postautor: Abedo » 12 maja 2016, 7:06

Many of you ask me what I like to spend my money on, and well there’s plenty of things I like to spend my money on, but I do like to save my money and splurge on two things a replica handbags and replica watches! Ever since I can remember, I always dreamt of having a Balenciaga or michael kors replica bag.Bags are my favorite go-to item when I’m out shopping. Something about having a nice designer bag can add that little extra to your look and make it look so much more elevated. Whether you can afford a brand new bag or even save to buy a pre-loved one, splurging a little on the right designer replica handbags uk to add to your wardrobe is an essential part of building a great forever wardrobe. I’m a true believer of that!
Abedo

Postautor: emanuelmaruio » 12 lip 2016, 7:36

Hi, I am student I have to submit my writing papers. That time i saw your wring tips. It is giving many ideas for my writing papers. It is very useful for me. I learn lot information for this site.I easily finished my wring papers.
emanuelmaruio

Postautor: adisonalex » 08 sie 2016, 7:38

These are great tips for writing an essay. Also I prefer students to get help from this reliable resource.
Essay Help You Need
adisonalex

Postautor: vlord » 29 maja 2022, 16:39

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
http://journallubricator.ruсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт
vlord
The One Whose Name Cannot Be Spoken